|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
Brad is a former employee at General Hospital.
Dr. Britt Westbourne is his best friend.
The role of Brad Cooper was originated by Marcus Toji on February 13, 2013. However, Parry Shen took over the role on May 6, 2013.
"I was kind of getting bored and looking for something new. Something to challenge me and get me scared," Shen said of his reason for taking the role. When he auditioned, Shen was told that the role was recurring and didn't expect it to last long.
On December 1, 2019, Shen put up a Facebook post that seemingly confirmed he was leaving GH. On December 4, however, it was revealed that Shen was joking around with the speculation of his exit and that he will not be leaving after all.
On March 12, 2020, Shen exited the series when his character was sent to prison.
On January 27, 2021, it was revealed that Shen will return to GH again as Brad. He returned from February 19 to February 22, 2021.
On October 30, 2021, in a leaked script, it was rumored that Shen will soon be back as Brad.
The writers initially described the character to Shen as "opportunistic, very smarmy, confident" and someone with an agenda that benefits himself. Shen perceived Brad's advances toward Felix as "power-playing," to get something he wants. However, Shen appreciated that he was not immediately made aware of Brad being gay.
Instead of playing with a certain mentality, Shen brought a specific personality to the character, who just happened to be gay. Shen described his portrayal as very "different." Shen categorized Brad as the resident "evil heel."
Though Shen does his best to bring humor to the character, he relishes portraying the more raunchy side of his character. On his official website, Shen published a poster ad featuring the character with the caption, "What A Prick!" In the picture, Shen, as Brad is wielding a syringe just like Liesl Obrecht (Kathleen Gati). According to Shen, the character of Brad sticks around because he is so unique.
Shen on how biology has shaped Brad's behavior,
- "You start seeing another side of Brad. Even though you know he’s kind of a prick, he’s [also] kind of ashamed of his dad because he took it to a whole new level where it’s about murdering and stealing from people who are weak and Brad just doesn’t want any part of that. Deep down he’s a human being. He’s not getting into the family business. He’s been adopted – he was bullied. We get to see why he turned out to be the way he is."
Shen initially thought his character's surname was a joke because the character was named after the award winning actor. Brad is bullied as a kid because he was a "fat, Chinese, gay tap dancer." Despite the bullying, Brad was extremely accomplished as a young tap dancer.
Brad is weak minded and cowardly as he allowed a psychopath like Nelle Benson to manipulate him for more than a year.
On January 24, 2014, it is revealed that Brad is the son of Kim Wu (aka Kim Soong), and great-grandson of Mr. Wu and they are both dead. Jade Soong is his aunt. His biological mother died giving birth to him. Brad was actually adopted and was forced to go searching for his biological roots on his own. The producers kept the secret up until the onscreen reveal.
The Wu Family returns in 2015 at a Five Families Mob summit in New York City called by Sonny Corinthos. A representative of the Wu Family was present named Ms. Wu. On November 8, 2021, Brad was revealed to be her nephew.
On June 13, 2016, Brad married Lucas Jones. On February 21, 2020, the truth came out that, in July 2018, Brad had helped Nelle switch their newborn deceased son Wiley with her living son Jonah (Lucas' great-nephew). They had raised him for a year and a half with Brad keeping the truth secret, leaving Lucas and his nephew Michael thinking Jonah was dead. Lucas was physically disgusted with Brad and left him.
Brad is a lab technician at the GH lab. Dr. Britt Westbourne helps get him the promotion to lab manager in exchange for doctoring some fake lab tests to show that she is being affected by Hyperemesis Gravidarum. The medical condition is used as a possible excuse to get Britt to live with her ex-boyfriend Dr. Patrick Drake, the supposed father of her unborn child. Brad is promoted to lab manager soon before Britt's sick leave, which gives Ellie Trout, another lab tech, some suspicions of a possible secretive alliance between Brad and Britt.
Brad has eyes for fellow GH employee and nurse Felix DuBois, who is disgusted by the thought, but attempts to use this to get information for Patrick and Patrick's girlfriend, nurse Sabrina Santiago. He continues his warped sense of justice and attempts to make Michael Corinthos agree to have sex with him (even though Michael is clearly straight and was raped by a man named Carter in prison in 2009) in exchange for his "silence" about witnessing Michael kissing his cousin Kiki Jerome. On September 4, Brad tells Felix that he really likes him. They almost kiss but Patrick interrupts and punches Brad for helping Britt lie about the baby. Brad is the father of Britt's son (via sperm donation). Brad stop Dante at the hospital to tell him something about Britt's baby. After the baby is born Brad goes to look at the baby but doesn't approach Britt or the baby.
At Connie Falconeri II's christening Brad reveals that Maxie and Spinelli were actually Connie's parents not Dante an Lulu. At the General Hospital Halloween party Brad tells Felix that he is not Ben's father. It has been comfirmed that Brad is not Ben's father.
After a fight with Felix, Brad goes off to blow off some steam at the Floating Rib. While at the bar an already inebriated Brad meets a frustrated Lucas Jones. Over the course of a few drinks the two discover they have similar pasts - both being adoptive and their birth father's being nothing they had imagined them to be. Brad also reveals that his father is Kim Wu, a former mobster in Port Charles in the mid 1980s, and that his mother died while giving birth to him. Feeling a connection they send the night together. Later the next day, Brad leaves Lucas at his apartment only for Lucas to find him later at GH, but not before Brad makes up with Felix and the two decide to go out on their first official date later that night.
After Valentines Day 2015, Lucas moves in with him.
Britt does come out of hiding to watch the Nurses' Ball red carpet show with Brad like they did last year. At the Nurses Ball on May 1, Brad asks Lucas to marry him and he accepts.
On July 23, it is revealed that he can't marry Lucas because he's already married. On August 14, it is later revealed that Brad is married to his college friend, Rosalie Martinez and because of spousal privilege and them having witnessed a crime, they can't get divorced or else they will have to testify against each other.
In July 2018, Brad and Nelle switched her son with Michael and his deceased adoptive son with Dr. Lucas shortly after Nelle's sons birth. Brad told Julian Jerome about the switch except he said a homeless woman (not Nelle) gave him her baby. Julian didn’t find out the truth for over a year. When he did, Julian tried to force Brad to confess.
When Julian sabotaged Brad’s car, Lucas got into an accident. He was arguing with Brad who confessed everything about the switch right before they crashed. Lucas was in a coma for several months. Once he woke up, he couldn’t remember Brad’s confessions for a few weeks. Lucas told Michael the truth once he remembered. Nelle claimed the idea for the switch was Brad’s and Sonny threatened Brad if he didn’t confess to everything.
On March 12, 2020, Brad went to prison and Lucas filed for divorce.
On February 19, 2021, Britt convinces the prison warden to bring Brad back to GH to check on his wound. In his room, Brad overhears Lucas agree to Felix’s offer for drinks. On February 22, Brad went back to prison.
On July 2, Britt visits Brad in prison. He wonders why she is upset and finds out she broke up with Jason and is heartbroken. Brad reveals his parole is coming up. Britt makes plans for Brad to be out by the Nurses Ball in the fall.
On December 10, a mysterious inmate in Pentonville gave Peter August some breakfast through a slide but Peter initially didn't want it. The mystery inmate then put it back on the breakfast cart, but Peter changed his mind and wanted him to bring it back, so he did. After Peter ate his breakfast, he went to leave but started coughing, choking and wheezing. It was revealed that the mysterious inmate was Brad.
On December 14, Brad's parole hearing began. Michael Corinthos and Willow Tait showed up for his parole hearing - as did Brad's aunt, Selina Wu. Michael told the parole board about how Brad conspired with Nelle Benson to switch Willow's dead baby with Michael's living baby. He also explained how Brad allowed him and his family to grieve for over a year and a half before they found out he was alive and that Willow's son had died. After Michael finished speaking, Brad talked to the parole board and apologized to Michael and Willow for his actions. Brad promised to live a life of virtue if they granted him parole. Afterwards, the parole board convened as Brad was taken away.
- Committed a crime or witnessed Rosalie Martinez commit a crime and got married so they wouldn't have to testify against each other [pre-2013; revealed Aug 2015; divorce revealed in Feb 2016]
- Fraud; conspired with Dr. Britt Westbourne and her mother, Dr. Liesl Obrecht to steal Dante and Lulu Falconeri's remaining two embryos and impregnate Britt with one of them and she later gave birth to their son, Ben [Feb 2013; revealed Dec 2013; revealed that it was only one in Apr 2014]
- Conspired with Britt to pass "her" child off as Dr. Patrick Drake's and then when that didn't work he lied and said the baby was his 
- Conspired with Britt and helped her fake hyperemesis gravidarum during her pregnancy and in exchange he received a promotion [May 2013]
- Attempted to blackmail Michael Corinthos into exchanging sexual favors for Brad's silence regarding Michael's feelings for Kiki Jerome [Aug 2013]
- Adultery; had an affair with Lucas Jones while married to Rosalie [Aug 15, 2014-Feb 2016; revealed Aug 14, 2015]
- Aided and abetted Britt by letting her hide in his apartment when she was a wanted fugitive [Apr 30-May 1, 2015]
- Conspired with Dr. Liesl Obrecht to alter Dr. Hamilton Finn's drug test [Apr-Jul 2017]
- Conspired with Nelle Benson to switch her baby with his adoptive son with Lucas after his adoptive son died from SIDS [Jul 29, 2018-Feb 19, 2020; switch shown on Jul 31, 2018; arrested on Feb 20, 2020; pled guilty on Mar 11, 2020; sent to Pentonville on Mar 12, 2020; parole was granted on Dec 14, 2021; released on parole on Dec 15, 2021]
- Pushed Liesl off the Haunted Star and caused her to nearly drown [Jul 8-9, 2019; revealed on Aug 5, 2019]
- Blackmailed Liesl to keep quiet about "Wiley" or else he'd send Britt back to jail [Aug 5, 2019-Feb 19, 2020]
- Ordered Julian Jerome to kill Liesl so that the truth about "Wiley" is never revealed [Sep 10, 2019]
- Poisoned Peter August through the actions of his aunt Selina Wu, who made a deal with Sonny Corinthos to have Peter killed in exchange for Sonny promoting Brad's parole for her [Dec 10, 2021]
Health and Vitals
- Bullied as a kid [pre-2013]
- Had tabs kept on him by his aunt, Selina Wu [pre-2013-2021; revealed on Dec 15, 2021]
- Punched by Patrick Drake as he and Felix were about to kiss [Sep 3, 2013]
- Threatened at knifepoint by Dr. Liesl Obrecht (she threatened to rip his tongue out if he revealed to anyone that Britt was not really Ben's mother) [Mar 2014]
- Pushed off a parapet by Liesl Obrecht [Mar 2014]
- Held hostage at gunpoint in a chapel-full of people by Landon Dixon [Feb 19, 2016; shown from Feb 23-24, 2016]
- Threatened by Nelle Benson [Oct 15, 2018]
- Had stomach pain caused by anxiety; developed an ulcer [Jun 25, 2019-present]
- Choked by Julian Jerome [Oct 11, 2019]
- Framed for infidelity and blackmailed by Julian [Nov 1, 2019]
- Pinned against a wall and threatened by Julian [Nov 4, 2019]
- Rendered unconscious after a car accident in which he and Lucas crashed their car which was sabotaged by Julian into Kendra Bauer's car [Dec 2-3, 2019]
- Was rushed into the trauma center due to his car accident related injuries [Dec 3, 2019]
- Suffered from concussion and bruised ribs as a result of the accident [revealed Dec 4, 2019]
- Drugged by Julian [Feb 4, 2020]
- Falsely accused of being the mastermind behind the "Wiley" baby switch by Nelle Benson [Feb 20, 2020]
- Threatened to be killed by Sonny Corinthos if he didn't plea guilty to the kidnapping of Nelle's son and was also assaulted by him [Mar 11, 2020]
- Stabbed in prison under the orders of Cyrus Renault and almost died [revealed on Nov 18, 2020; offscreen; hospitalized from Nov 18-24, 2020]
- Selina mentions paying the rent for his apartment on 3/22/22 - it's unknown if it's the previous apartment
- On July 23, 2015, Brad revealed he was already married. http://tvmegasite.net/transcripts/gh/older/2015/gh-trans-07-23-15.shtml... "Brad: Because I'm already married." On August 14-17, Brad revealed that Rosalie is his wife. "Rosalie: Brad? Brad: Oh, my God. Rosalie: What are you doing here? Lucas: Wait a minute. You two know each other? Brad: You could say that. Dude -- she's my wife." "Brad: [Sighing] You could say that. She's my wife. Lucas: Did -- did you just say "wife"? Brad: Lucas, this is Rosalie Martinez, otherwise known as Mrs. Brad Cooper." It was also revealed why Brad and Rosalie got married in the first place. "Brad: [Scoffs] [Sighs] Rosalie and I have to stay married, so that we won't ever be able to testify against each other in a court of law." http://tvmegasite.net/transcripts/gh/older/2015/gh-trans-08-14-15.shtml http://tvmegasite.net/transcripts/gh/older/2015/gh-trans-08-17-15.shtml
- On February 22, 2016, Brad told Lucas that he and Rosalie got a divorce. "Brad: [Chuckles] It's a divorce." http://tvmegasite.net/transcripts/gh/older/2016/gh-trans-02-22-16.shtml
- Lucas called Brad his ex-husband on December 4, 2020
- "Perry Shen Confirms General Hospital Exit as Brad Cooper", Soaps.com, Sheknows Media, LLC, December 2, 2019. Retrieved on December 2, 2019.
- "Parry Shen Returns to General Hospital as Brad Cooper", Soaps.com, Sheknows Media, LLC, November 18, 2020. Retrieved on November 18, 2020.
- "General Hospital's Perry Shen Returns as Brad Cooper", Soaps.com, SheKnows Media, LLC, November 15, 2021. Retrieved on November 15, 2021.
- General Hospital Parry Shen (Brad)"Support Staff". Soap Opera Digest (American Media, Inc.) 39 (4): 60–61. January 27, 2014.
- CENTER STAGE: ‘GH’s’ Parry Shen Deals With the Highs and Lows of Being an Onscreen Jerk. Retrieved on December 20, 2013.